By Kirsten Larsen
Art! Vancouver is pleased to announce our partnership with Battered Women Support Services, a Vancouver based charity, that has provided counselling and healing spaces for women and children who have experienced abuse. For over 35 years, BWSS has contributed to the freedom and liberation of girls and women from violence and has empowered the community through training and educational programs such as, art therapy and life skills building.
Art! Vancouver believes in the healing power of art. Since our inception, we have donated funds through the auction of fine art to local and international non- profits. These include: the Lions Gate Hospital Foundation, the Alley Outreach Project, the Jerry Garcia Foundation and now Battered Women’s Support Services Of Vancouver.
The mandate for Battered Women Support Services is to help women build strength and resiliency, working on systemic advocacy, law reform, in-class youth engagement programs and operating a social enterprise called My Sister’s Closet, located in downtown Vancouver. In addition, they support their male counterparts by urging them to own their role in ending violence against girls and women. Their steadfast dedication to social advocacy is the very reason why Art! Vancouver has chosen to shine a light on one of Vancouver’s longest standing non – profit organizations.
Battered Women’s Support Services responds to over 8,000 direct service requests:
- Over 5460 women called their Crisis Line
- Over 1300 women accessed Crisis Support and Accompaniment
- Over 2304 women accessed Counselling
- Over 3650 Counselling sessions were provided
- Over 980 women accessed Support Groups
- Over 1,200 women who were starting over received clothing and/or household items
Battered Women Support Services Provides:
- Crisis Support
- Counselling – Long term and Stopping the Violence Counselling
- Victim Services
- Legal Advocacy
- Indigenous Women’s Program
- Advancing Women’s Awareness Regarding Employment (AWARE) Program
- Latin American Women’s Program
- Women’s Safety and Outreach Program
- Violence Prevention & Intervention Volunteer Training
- Law Reform
- Retail Program
- Strategic Interventions Training for Service Providers
- Social Enterprise
Step one of our partnership is to raise funds and awareness about BWSS through an online auction platform: www.biddingowl.com. Art! Vancouver will be donating one of a kind fine art pieces created by local and international artists to be auctioned off on an ongoing basis, all proceeds from the auction sale go directly to BWSS.
For more information on BWSS please visit their website: www.BWSS.org
The third annual Art! Vancouver is set to take place at the iconic Vancouver Convention Center: May 25th – 28th 2017 – tickets are on sale now: https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/art-vancouver-2017-tickets-26309784273?aff=eac2